Wednesday, September 3, 2008

His Mercies are New Every Morning....

I had trouble falling asleep last night. An hour and a half after I finally fell asleep, Brayden woke me up because he had had a bad dream and was scared. Despite not having the most restful sleep, I still woke up this morning feeling better than I did yesterday. A book I read last year called "Humility: True Greatness" (by CJ Mahaney) talks about sleep as a gift from God. It is something we require. He could have designed us to not need sleep at all...but our need for it reminds us of our dependence on Him...A great thought to end our day remembering. It restores our bodies and refreshes our minds and souls...reason enough to wake up and give thanks to Him.

From the moment I woke up, I kept thinking about a verse in Philippians "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, through prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God, and the peace of God that transcends all understanding will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." This verse kept scrolling through my head repeatedly all morning. I love that about God. He speaks to us through His Word...it does not return void.

I was also reminded that He does not give us a spirit of fear and that my anxiety was a form of fear...not coming from Him and not desired by Him. God takes care of me...He is the Great Provider and He reminded me of this once again. He cares about my smallest needs and desires. He knows me well. He sprinkled my entire day with sweet simple blessings...Some of those blessings included:
1.) Brayden waking up excited about school and excited about riding the school bus for the first time. His excitement was contagious.
2.) Seeing Mike and Kelly in the school parking lot this morning....Familiar faces, genuine friends.
3.) Karen's phone call. Another reminder and example of kindness and friendship.
4.) Brayden met a friend the first day of school (Lucas)...Lucas rides the same bus as Brayden and they are in the same class. Now he'll have a bus buddy!
4.) My mother-in-law's Aunt canceled their usual Wednesday lunch date--freeing up her entire day which she chose to spend with Brooke and I...we went shopping at Partridge Creek. This helped the day go by faster and for me to be distracted (doing something I love to do-SHOP!)
5.) I found a couple of incredible unexpected sales. A scarf for $1.80 and a pair of jeans at the GAP for $17.00 (both weren't marked at these great prices, but miraculously rang up that way!)...Yes, that was God too (I told you he knows my every need and desire)
6.) Brayden's beaming smile as he got off the school bus and ran straight into my arms (the highlight of my day...see last pic)
7.) Because of the storms, his first soccer game was canceled. He was really disappointed, but I knew he had already had a really long first full day of school. This allowed us to get home, play a couple of games, take baths, read stories and get into bed by 8:15pm!

Overall, it was a good day. I have gotten past a lot of the "unknowns" and feel a sense of peace. I was able to follow Brayden's bus to school and saw the routine of the kids getting off the bus and safely into the school. He had a couple more reminders today, but I think that most things will work themselves out as he gets more acquainted with his teacher, the class, the routine and the expectations.

Here are a few photos of Brayden's first 2 days of kindergarten!

Breakfast for a champ!
We are off to school!
Brayden in front of the school
Showing off his Star Wars backpack
Walking down the hall to his class
In front of his classroom
Inside the classroom
Working on a puzzle
Brayden and his teacher, Mrs. Blanzy

His school
Today, his first FULL day
Waiting at the bus stop

The look of anticipation
Here it comes!

That's him waving
Me following the school bus...took this from inside my car
Getting ready to go into school
Yeah! The day is over..here comes the bus
F-I-N-A-L-L-Y!
Here he comes!
Running into his mommy's arms...look at that face!
Feeling good, feeling relieved, feeling at peace.

5 comments:

  1. Yay!! I'm so glad you had a better day! Love his smile. He's such a cutie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A daily struggle, let go of our fears and let God work. Love the point about the sales. My kind of shopping. B. is such a handsome guy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that the unknowns are often the most challenging part of new experiences. I hope each day that Brayden is at school allows you all to grow in ways you never expected! Love you!

    ReplyDelete