Sunday, October 5, 2008

Peace like a River...

Church was so good today. I just love Macomb Christian Church and it's people. Andy's message was fresh and thought-provoking. I am so thankful for his convictions- in preaching God's Word raw, without sugar-coating it. The Lord has been speaking through him in tremendous ways and it is so exciting! While Darcy and I have only been members since 2004, it has been uplifting and encouraging to see God's faithfulness with our church. He is up to something, and I am so thrilled to be part of it!

I have felt the presence of the Lord so strongly this weekend. Darcy and his Dad went hunting yesterday morning and they return this afternoon (I am looking forward to his return and the comfort from his presence. He was in great need of some time away and this was a perfect way for him to spend it) . It's just been me and the kids. We've had a great time together. It was so nice yesterday to have nowhere to go and nothing to do - no agenda, just a lot of play, relaxing and fun.

Without going into details, the past week (primarily the past few days) have been filled with emotion, exhaustion, confusion, anger, hurt and hopefully healing. But, throughout it all I feel a calmness. I feel as if the Lord has bathed me in His peace this weekend and it is truly indescribable. I think this peace comes from the fact that I have been confronted with issues (some I've known about and others newly exposed) that I have sincerely placed before the Lord. Over time, I've taken a good look in the mirror, have confessed and repented and have been taking steps to work through some things.

Do you ever have times where you feel like someone has got you figured out all wrong? That no matter what you could ever say or do, you have been pegged? It's so easy to allow the Enemy to sneak in and try to steal your confidence and security in who you are in Christ. It's easy to fall victim to the lies and to focus on them. I really had to fight to cling to His truth and His promises this week and weekend. The Lord put Exodus 14:14 on my heart:

"The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still."

What a relief that was...to come to the conclusion that I don't have to defend myself anymore (in this particular situation). The dirty laundry has been aired, nothing more to be swept under the rug, lessons learned, relationships in need of restoration...I think this wave of peace that still covers me is because my heart is right with God. He knows it- and He knows me. He is the only audience I need to be worrying about. And with that insight, He is blessing me with His presence, with His peace. He is encouraging me through others (thank you Barby, Dana, Karen, Hannah and Bernie). It's little things you have done or said that have felt like small hugs from God telling me "It's all going to be OK, and no matter what child, you are right with me."

4 comments:

  1. Wow...the verse about the Lord fighting for us; we just need to be still is the 2nd time I've come across that verse in just a few days.

    Church was also good for me today too, and it sounds like for similar reasons as what you've expressed. One of the things that ministered to me was the hymn with the following lyrics...I hope they encourage you too...

    Jesus! What a friend for sinners!
    Jesus! Lover of my soul;
    Friends may fail me,foes assail me,
    He, my Savior, makes me whole.

    Hallelujah! What a Savior!
    Hallelujah! What a friend!
    Saving, helping, keeping, loving,
    He is with me to the end.

    Jesus! What a strength in weakness!
    Let me hide myself in Him.
    Tempted, tried, and sometimes failing,
    He, my strength, my victory wins.

    Jesus! What a help in sorrow!
    While the billows o’er me roll,
    Even when my heart is breaking,
    He, my comfort, helps my soul.

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Charity! Those lyrics gave me glory bumps! Hallelujah indeed...that's all I can really say.

    It's probably no coincidence that you have come across that verse more than once recently.

    Love you too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Church WAS good today - and it spoke to me pretty intensly. Alot to process. I AM ready to let him get down to the timbers with me and re build me in HIM.

    I too had an intense week, so full of ups and down and just letting stuff get to me. GIVE IT TO HIM!!!!! That's what I gotta do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I can totally relate to your post! It was so nice to see you today at church. I know we keep saying we're going to get together, sorry we haven't yet. And by the way, I just got out of my car and I was listening to Jars of clay sing the song in your title! Haha

    ReplyDelete