Sunday, November 2, 2008

A "BOO-licious" Time

I've seen this photo a hundred times before and have never thought much of it. Just recently, I came across it again and saw it with a new set of eyes. Looking at my Mom (Minnie Mouse) here with me and my sisters made me realize how involved my mom was in our lives growing up. As a Mom myself, I know how crazy life can get....this past week of Halloween activities has been fun and exhausting. So, as I am looking at this photo with Brooke the other day (who thought I was Julia Knepper in this picture), tears fill my eyes as I think of all the time, love and sacrifice it took being the mom of 5 children. I had to call my mom instantly and tell her my new epiphany...and thank her through tears and sniffles as I left a message on her voicemail. Not only did she sew all of our costumes and helped get us ready each year, she dressed the part too (making it fun for us kids)...I vowed this year that I am going to "dress the part" with my kids each Halloween as well. Here are photos from our BOO-licious, BOO-ti-ful week!

Our tough Transformer (Optimus Prime)
Brayden wore his costume to school on Thursday because he had
a Halloween Parade and Class Party
I had my Ladies Bible Study that morning. We brought Brooke's costume to church
because we left right from my study to go to Brayden's
Halloween Parade at school.
Here he is 2nd in line behind his teacher (Lady Bug) Mrs. Blanzy

I snapped a couple shots of our flapper girl while waiting for the parade
to make its way back around (and when it came back around, my camera battery had died!
I had a backup in the car, but it was already too late)
Brooke and I left the parade and hurried to her preschool Halloween Party.
New battery in camera- we are ready to go!
Here is Brooke with Sami the mermaid
Brooke and her Little Lambs teachers
Brookie and Mama
(I had to leave her party early to go back and volunteer at
Brayden's classroom party)
Grandma was Brookie's "special person"
She stayed at Brooke's Halloween Party while I
went back to Brayden's (thanks Grandma!)
twirlin her stuff!
what a fancy flapper girl!

Singing songs...having a "roarin" good time
as a "flappy girl princess" (as brooke called herself)
Brooke with classmates (Marissa on the right of her)
Back to Brayden's class (I don't think he noticed I was gone!)
Brayden and his friend Lucas (Spiderman)
they played Halloween BINGO
Decorated cookies

Made treat bags
and Halloween necklaces
off to show Mrs. Blanzy
He wanted her approval and was eager to show her what he had
made after every activity
Snack station: cider and donuts
After school that day we went back to
Grandpa and Grandma's house and made
our own Halloween cookies

the kids love doing this
They also helped Grandma make apple pie


I love this picture of them togetherhaving fun as brother and sister.

Later that evening we carved pumpkins


(1. Grandpa's with Brayden's help, 2. Daddy's,
3. Grandma's with Brookie's help, and 4. Mommy's)


Halloween Night




We had our friends (kin) over to celebrate with us
(Dana, Dennis, and their three kids- Jackson the football player,
Aidan the skeleton, and Abby the butterfly...their Grandpa and Grandma,
and Brayden and Brooke's Grandpa and Grandma).
We had our traditional sloppy joe dinner and then took the kids out
trick-or-treating while the grandparents stayed at
our house to pass out candy.



At the first house, Brooke says "trick-or-treat"...she gets a treat and then says
"I want a lot!" and stands there with her bag wide open, ready for more.
(one house at a time kiddo)
I guess that beats last year when she cried after every house because she didn't
understand why we weren't going into any of the houses to play



Brayden was so fun this year. He knew exactly what he
was doing, and ran ahead of us...eagerly
filling up his treat bag, never tiring of energy.

Overall, it was a beautiful fall evening. Perfect outdoor weather...
fun for the whole family. We finished our night by tucking in the kids and playing
a game of CLUE with Grandpa and Grandma...
Darcy won...he knew who did it!
(White, in the kitchen, with the rope)

But Halloween doesn't have to be all bad and scary...The Christian Pumpkin

I am a Jack O' Lantern
My lights will shine so bright
For I am a Christian pumpkin
My symbols show what's right

The story starts at Christmas
My eyes are like a star
That shone on baby Jesus
And wise men from afar

My nose is like a cross
On which our Savior died
To set us free from sin
We need no longer hide

My mouth is like a fish
The whole wide world to show
A Christian lives inside this house
And loves their Savior so

My color, it is orange
Just like the big bright sun
That rose on Easter day
Along with God's own Son

And so on Halloween
Let's set our pumpkins out
And tell the trick-or-treaters
What God's love is all about


4 comments:

  1. Great pictures. Looks like everyone enjoyed themselves. I have to say, grandma and grandpa are brave souls to carve pumpkins on the carpet. I love the "Christian pumpkin" very creative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of great pictures! I love your Twister outfit...did you make it? You can't make applie pie without the Pampered Chef apple peeler/corer/slicer...it's my favorite tool this time of year and through all the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVED the pics. What a SM twister board you were!!! ANd the kids were too cute - LOVED em!!!

    And the pumpkin at the end. I WANT ONE!!!!!

    LOVE IT!

    LOVE YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful halloween story, Amanda! I loved your costume! And your kids...just priceless! How special to see your mommy's investment in you & your siblings in a new light!

    ReplyDelete