Sunday, January 18, 2009

Teachable Moments

On the way home from church today, Brayden and I somehow started talking about Adam and Eve, which led to the Garden of Eden, which led to the forbidden tree, which led to Satan. Our conversation unfolds.

BRAYDEN:
"Satan likes people to do bad things...
like say the F word."

MOMMY (jaw has dropped/shocked, definitely blaming the public school bus for this one):

"What is the F word Brayden?"

BRAYDEN:
"Well, I don't know, but it's like the F word, the H word, and the E word are all super bad."

(Whew! Innocence still intact.)


A few moments later...

BRAYDEN: "But Satan is invisible...Satan lives far, far away, like in Florida...And there are no volcanoes in heaven, right Mommy?"


I'm finding that as a parent, life hands us many teachable moments. But after all these years, I must admit, I still don't know what the "E word" is?


3 comments:

  1. But, isn't the F word Fudge ... I mean that IS what he said in Christmas Story, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't remember who...maybe Payton, one time said that it's bad to say the "s" word. Upon investigation, she said that the "s" word was "stupid". :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is way too funny!! I have laughed out loud twice, once reading it to myself and once reading it to Bob -- he also claims it is one of the funniest things he has heard. Let me know when you figure out the "E" word, I need to add it to my list of super bad words.

    ReplyDelete