Monday, April 20, 2009

Knowing Him

It was so good to be back in church yesterday, surrounded by friends and familiarity...home. During worship, I could barely sing through the tears to this song below. So beautifully sung, and the lyrics just penetrated my very being.

"The More I Seek You"

The more I seek you
The more I find you
The more I find you
The more I love you

I want to sit at your feet
drink from the cup in your hand
lay back against you and breathe
feel your heartbeat
This love is so deep
It's more than I can stand
I melt in your peace, It's overwhelming

We took our first "real" family vacation over Easter. Darcy, the kids and I, along with Grandpa and Grandma, have been planning an 8 day trip to Disney for months now. We arrived at our resort at 1am on the 10th and less than 10 hours later, my father-in-law had a major coronary heart attack. He spent 4 days in the Orlando hospital, had an angioplasty and a stent put in, and is currently doing well. We slowed down our trip a bit, but still managed to have a good time and tried to make the best out of a bad situation. It was a frightening experience that we are still processing. But we see God's hand in it all and are very thankful and blessed. My father-in-law was given a second chance on life...what a precious gift to us all!

In church yesterday, Andy preached about the difference between having knowledge of God and knowing God. It made me realize that I am so glad that through our whole vacation scare, we had more than just the knowledge of God. Knowing Him, my relationship with Him, made the circumstance much easier to go through because He was with us through it all.

Strangely throughout our time in Florida, we were blanketed in peace. I know this is from the many many prayers we had from family and friends. You all have no idea what this meant (and still means) to us. It was frightening enough to go through something like this, but then to be so many miles away from home, family, friends, our support system, familiarity, it brought on an increased level of stress, worry and intensity. Yet, the Lord worked through it all...worked through friends who were our prayer warriors and offered countless texts, emails, phone calls and prayers that gave great strength, comfort and encouragement to us while we were away.

We were gone on Easter Sunday, but that morning received a very encouraging email from Denise, our pastor's wife. She shared a portion of Andy's sermon that day (Hearing a bit of the Word felt like a slice of home was being sent our way). She quoted Andy:

Faith is not logical. But it isn't illogical either. Faith is theological. It does not ignore reality; it just adds God into the equation.

And we were reminded of how God was part of our equation, how He had us all together when this happened and how He would continue to have His hand in it all. These words stuck with me the entire week.

I was also reminded by a close friend, Dana, how Dennis (my father-in-law) and we were "woven" into our community and into the prayers of so many. I am so thankful for everyone's love, support and most of all prayers.

The night before we left I really was missing home. I felt like we had been gone forever and I just wanted my mom and my sisters...people who know me and understand me. After nearly 16 hours of traveling back, it was so wonderful to be HOME! Dinner with my girlfriends on Saturday, church and home group on Sunday, my own bed...familiarity! Makes me appreciate and feel grateful for so much. So, as I was in church yesterday and this song was playing, I couldn't help but feel every lyric of this song to be such truth. I felt an overwhelming peace while we were gone, one that can only be explained and attributed to the grace of God.

Knowing Him...there really is no greater thing.

2 comments:

  1. Beautifully written. As always ... and I am soooooo glad you are home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's no place like home.

    I know that experience was very scary for all of you. (My dad has had heartaches/angios/stints too.) I hope that your FIL continues to improve.

    Love to you all!

    ReplyDelete