Monday, May 11, 2009

Happy Anniversary!

Today Darcy and I celebrate 8 years of marriage together. I can honestly say I am still very much in love with this man and have only grown to love and respect him more with each passing year. There's so much I could write to try to express how much he means to me- although I am sure my words would come up short.


I'm reminded of lyrics to a song sang at our wedding: "I think the angels are your brothers. They told you about me, said you're just what she needs." And I feel that's exactly what God had in mind when He brought us together. God is the ultimate supplier of our needs and giver of all things good...and sometimes He chooses to bless us and meet our needs through others, through relationships, through marriage. I always thought that in a husband, God knew exactly what I needed and gave me Darcy.


Marriage isn't always a "mountaintop" experience, but it is something we have walked through side by side, hand in hand...through the mundane moments and the passionate pursuits we have shared years of laughter, tears, triumphs, trials, hardships, heartaches, fears, failures, hopes and dreams- many answered prayers and some unanswered ones.


I'd love to say that our marriage thus far has been strong because I am a spectacular wife and he is a perfect husband, but that would be completely false. Our marriage, our lives, and Darcy and I have been filled with faults and struggles. The joy and success of our marriage is completely attributed to the fact that God is at the center of it and He is the foundation this marriage was built upon. I pray regularly for our marriage and for the Lord to show me how to love Darcy the way He intended me to. I once heard someone say that marriage is like a 3-legged stool (with the legs representing husband, wife and God). If you remove one leg, how can it stand on its own? God is the glue that holds us together. My heart swells today with joy, gratitude, appreciation and love...there are too many blessings to count.


Tonight Darc and I will go out to dinner. We don't exchange anniversary gifts, but we decided to make a list for one another of our favorite things about each other, the top 5 reasons we love one another...and we will exchange them over dinner. It'll be challenging to narrow these down to five...but I could easily rattle off many of the "trivial/everyday" things I love about him. For instance, I love that he still holds my hand everyday (whether we are sitting on the couch watching tv, walking into the grocery store, or driving in the car...this is a regular habit). I love that he spreads my blanket out for me before going to bed each night. I love that we turn into bed each night together. This wasn't always easy, because I am more of a night owl, but it was a choice I am glad I've made routine. There's something "unifying" in going to bed at the same time...as if we are saying to one another "We are a team. We made it through another day together. Let's rest and start afresh in the morning." I love that he calls me (and texts me) several times a day just to touch base and stay connected. I love that after a long hard day at work he offers to rub my feet even when I know he is really tired and doesn't want to. I love that he cooks, irons, puts his family first and is so stinkin handsome. I love that he compliments me, supports and respects me, and encourages me to grow. I love that we laugh together and that we do it often. I love that he loves my family like his own, that he is so gentle with babies, that he is a wonderful daddy to our children, a good role model, a natural leader, and that he doesn't stress easily. I love his smile, his hugs, his heart. I love him.


Darc, thank you for 8 wonderful years of marriage. I pray that we will grow old together and will have many more years to come. On this earth, you are the only other half that makes me whole.
I'll always be "your amanda." Happy Anniversary!
XOXO,
J

8 comments:

  1. Beautifully spoken. Continue to celebrate your story - tell it often, because this is the way love was intended to be. What an amazing journey God has called you on together...
    Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO beautiful! It is such a witness to have a strong, healthy, CHRIST centered marriage. I was watching the news the other day and there was some "doctor" who was saying that if there is financial trouble in a marriage that marriage itself is in trouble. A couple cannot survive if their finances are in a mess. I laughed. I though of us, and you guys, and so many others who stand strong - if not stronger - through trials. It would seem that GOD is stronger than the checkbook ... WHO KNEW?!?!?!

    Yeah, Thank the Sweet Lord, WE DID!!!

    We love you guys and are SO thankful for your witness!!!!
    Happy Anniversary :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS - SERIOUS buffness on your SuperModel frame goin on in those pics! You are STUNNING!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so great to see a marriage celebrated! It's just not in style anymore to have a happy, drama free relationship is it. I second what beckyjomama said about God being stronger than the checkbook, we are living proof of that too! Jim and I just celebrated 12 years together yesterday. It truly gets better every year, although we will need to work on the picture thing. We have about 2 of us together, and you have what, 85!?! Enjoy your special day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok, first comment had too many spelling errors so let's try it again. I think you two are the most photogenic couple. I loved seeing the pics from the beginning of A&D. Have a great evening together.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Anniversary! I pray with you that you and Darcy will have the privilege of growing old together.

    ReplyDelete