Saturday, May 9, 2009

Happy Mother's Day


"Godly mothers not only bring you up,
they bring you to God."
~anonymous

Ecclesiastes 3:1
"There is a time for everything,
and a season for every activity under heaven."

I became pregnant with Brayden during my last semester of graduate school. After graduation and after his birth, I worked briefly as a therapist in Ann Arbor until Darcy was offered a job out here and we decided to move. For quite a while I wrestled with the decision of whether or not I should look for employment out here or stay home with Brayden. It really was an inner struggle that I dealt with for quite some time. Part of me felt like I was wasting my education and the years and effort spent in getting my degrees. This unrest was robbing me from the enjoyment of motherhood.

I distinctly remember asking a mentor to pray with me over this situation while at a women's retreat one weekend. She gave me the above Ecclesiastes verse (which I had heard so many times before, but hadn't felt it's truth personally), and after our prayer time I had a wave of peace wash over me assuring me that this was my season in life right now, it was my time to stay home and my career could wait for another season. I was right where God wanted me and felt confident in this for the first time. This peace hasn't left me since that day we prayed together and I haven't questioned my decision since, but feel thankful that this was a choice I was privileged to make... And every time I hear or read that verse, I am reminded of the peace God has given me over this situation. And with this peace, I have been able to genuinely enjoy this season in life, to love motherhood, and to appreciate what a gift it is and what a blessing my children are to me.


I admire and commend working moms...the focus, energy, sacrifice, strength and determination they carry, as well as being the ultimate "experts" on the "balancing act" of life. And sure, there are days when I have thought the grass looks greener on the other side...where I have felt up to my elbows in dirty diapers, dirty dishes, and dirty laundry...where I have lost sight of my identity and my purpose, but then I look down at my young children and that peace swells back...and to know I am right where God wants me to be gives me much peace and satisfaction. I'm very thankful for this season and don't want it to pass, savoring the moments that fleet away too quickly.

Wherever you are in life, whether working or staying home with your children, the Lord wants you to feel at peace, to be refreshed and to remember your identity as His child, and your purpose in His kingdom. He is the supplier of our peace and strength to get through each day- whether it be making deadlines or making PBandJs...Lean into Him.

My prayer for myself and all the other (younger and older) mothers in my life is to aspire to and follow this:

Proverbs 31:26-31
"She speaks with wisdom,
and faithful instruction is on her tongue.
She watches over the affairs of her household
and does not eat the bread of idleness.
Her children arise and call her blessed;
her husband also, and he praises her:
'Many women do noble things,
but you surpass them all.'
Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting;
but a woman who fears the Lord is
to be praised.
Give her the reward she has earned,
and let her works bring her praise at the city gate."

Thank you to my own mother for the lessons taught, the sacrifices made and the love you have shown over the years of my life. There are no words adequate enough to express such thankfulness and appreciation. I am honored to be your daughter.

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment