Friday, July 3, 2009

A Day in Saline...

A week ago Tuesday we were finally able to take a trip out to Saline to visit family. Darcy was away for a conference, so the kids and I drove out there together. Our first stop: Canterbury Drive to visit Great Gram.
She has such a pretty backyard, with tall mature trees (oak, weeping willow), planted flowers and an oasis of green. The scampering and gallivanting of squirrels and birds makes it feel like you are in another land. Many memories here. Such a good time with my Grandma...it always goes by so fast and I leave feeling a little sad because I miss her already.
And most trips back to Saline require a quick driveby of our first home. Darcy and I bought this 1910 farmhouse and renovated it before moving out to Macomb. I took this photo (below) from inside my passenger car window (trying to be discreet, not to appear as a stalker). I vividly remember bringing Brayden home from the hospital...his chubby cheeks jiggled the whole car ride home... This was the first home he ever knew.
Many memories here too.

Someday we'd love to buy another older home. Nothing compares to the charm and character built right into these houses. They have history. Sure, they are a lot of work, but perhaps since I grew up in an old farmhouse, there will always be a part of me that feels right at home when I enter one.

Swimming at Grammy Jo's!!!
This took place all day long...cannonball after cannonball!
intermission: green sand
Aunt Bear and Baby Blair
time to eat!
Em and Jane
sisters
(I recently heard a quote I loved: "Sisterhood: a piece of childhood that can never be lost or forgotten.")
plus natalie and blair
bathing beauties
(love how their suits are zebra and cheetah print...so fashionable ladies!)
Brooke wanted to "hold" Blair in the water.
Such a big girl (practicing her "Big Sister" skills)

Bear, Brayden, Me, Brooke, Grammy Jo, Blair, Natalie, Em, Wyatt, and Matt
grammy jo's backyard bliss...
Behind all of these trees there is a pond. At night the bullfrogs are so incredible noisy it seems unreal, like a movie. We had a campfire out here at night...I am not a fan of frogs at all (not since one jumped down my bathing suit when I was a little girl)...so, I definitely put on my brave face when we were back here at night (walking on dark grass that could have contained frogs of massive size...my mom said she saw one that was so big it probably wouldn't have fit into the palm of her hands). Makes my tummy flip thinking about it.












Natalie and Brooke playing with Grandma's dolls















Campfire fun...smores and all.
































Cousins...
We didn't get back home till after midnight. I love spending time with my family. What a wonderful day in Saline. Can't wait till the next one!


3 comments:

  1. Looks like you had a lot of fun. Your pictures are great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE the old Saline house. I think that is the first pic I have seen of it. Now I can see why you were so fond of it. I would live in an old farmhouse in the middle of nowhere if I had my choice. HEHE

    ReplyDelete