Wednesday, October 21, 2009

family time

We were finally able to fit in our annual trip to Blake's Apple Orchard late Monday afternoon after Brayden got home from school. This is something we look forward to doing as a family every fall.
It was a beautiful Indian Summer day which turned into a cool brisk evening...
perfect for apple picking.
And it came with such great timing after a really busy week and weekend.
It was so therapeutic to drive out into the country, away from the hustle and bustle and just enjoy being a family of 5...this was well-needed.

( Uh-oh! What happened to all of these apples on the ground? Who shook the tree?)


The kids had fun picking (and tasting) their apples.
Daddy did too.





Sometimes I still can't believe we have three children! Berlyn is fitting in well...being loved to pieces each day by her big brother and sister.
We didn't arrive at the orchard until late afternoon and didn't bother to watch the time as we began apple picking. When we were done, we went back to the Cider Mill area. After playing and looking around, we went to buy our donuts and cider and they were closed! The kids (and I) were so very disappointed. I was determined not to leave without eating a donut. (Isn't that what you look forward to most when going to an orchard/cider mill?) And to make matters worse, the store doors were closed, but the smell of fresh donuts permeated the outside air around us. I managed to hunt down an employee who graciously went back inside and allowed us to purchase our donuts and cider. And, the donuts were still warm!

And oh so delicious.
We sat outside and enjoyed every bite.
When I later saw these two photos of myself, I got all teary-eyed because I hadn't seen myself this happy in a long time. I also hadn't had a hearty belly-laugh in a while either. I so needed this time alone with my family. I am glad Darcy caught these moments on camera.
I think I was laughing so hard because we didn't have any cups for our cider (remember they were closed for the night)....so we all decided to take swigs from the jug.
It was comical...but we didn't care because we were just so thrilled to have our donuts.
Overall, we had a perfect evening together as a family.
And on our peaceful carride back home, with satisfied hearts and tummies, we even got to top off our day with a view of this glorious sunset.
Can't get any more perfect than that.

3 comments:

  1. Cider, Donuts, Apples, Pumpkins and Belly Laughs -- they are the best! Hugs and kisses to all of you from Mama Jo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy that you had that day with your family - LOVE it!

    I heart your smiley face!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pure joy!

    I miss cider mill donuts...we can't find them down here. :(

    ReplyDelete