Saturday, November 14, 2009

Following closely on His heels...

I mentioned in a previous post that I have been finding regular daily moments with God to be peace-producing and life-giving...soul refreshing and a bare necessity in life. It has helped my spirit tremendously and seems to be the best prescription for a joyful and abundant life.

Life with a new baby just seems to get easier, more balanced as time goes by. I'm finding that the majority of my mornings can begin with this intimate time with God- even if it is brief. This has made a world of a difference to me and I am reaping the rewards in many ways.

After a conversation with my Gram one day last week, which led to talk of spiritual life, I became the blessed recipient of the daily devotional "Morning by Morning" by C.H. Spurgeon. I am loving it. I feel like a sponge, again eager to soak up the Word and to have the eyes of my heart opened.

I've always believed that mornings were the best time to spend time with my Father. It seemed to make a difference in my day...more patience with the kids...more focus and productivity...a fresher outlook...more grace extended toward others. Now that I have been able to do this once again, I can confidently and adamantly confirm this truth.


C.H. Spurgeon references Isaiah 1:4 "He waketh morning by morning. He wakeneth mine ear to hear as the learned."

He writes "...morning exercises have ever been dear to enlightened, heaven-loving souls, and it has been their rule, never to see the face of man till they have first seen the face of God."

and..."truly living men tuning their hearts for song, like the birds, salute the radiant mercy which reveals itself in the east. The first fresh hour of every morning should be dedicated to the Lord, whose mercy gladdens it with open light." (so poetic...)

furthermore..."Morning devotion anchors the soul, so that it will not very readily drift far away from God during the day; it perfumes the heart so that it smells fragrant with piety until nightfall; it girds up the soul's garments so that it is less apt to stumble, and feeds all powers so that it is not permitted to faint. The morning is the gate of the day, and should be well-guarded with prayer. It is one end of the thread on which the day's actions are strung,and should be well-knotted with devotion." (my personal favorite)

He states that failure to begin one's day in devotion to God is as unwise as a man rushing out of bed to his work/business before putting on clothes or showering...or as unwise as rushing into battle without any armor. Concluding with the plea to "bathe in the soft-flowing river of communion with God, before the heat of the wilderness and the burden of the way, begin to oppress us."

Can you not feel the passion in these written words? The plea and conviction to seek out God each morning as we wake? His passion is contagious and has only convicted me to continue to make time each morning for God, whose thoughts of me outnumber the grains of sand, and when I awake, He is still with me. (Psalm 139:18). Over the years, the following verses have spoken to me and encouraged me to begin my mornings with Him...

Psalm 90:14 says "Satisfy us in the morning with your unfailing love..."

Ecclesiastes 11:6 "Sow your seed in the morning..."

Matthew 6:33 "Seek ye first..."

Isaiah 50:4 "...He wakens me morning by morning, wakens my ear to listen like one being taught."

I know we all have different schedules, different struggles, varying needs and convictions. If you don't already spend some of your mornings with the Lord, I encourage you to try...just once or twice...set your alarm earlier than usual (even if it is just 15 minutes) and start your day out with Him in prayer and in reading your Bible. I am certain you won't regret it.

Overall...these next verses give words to my heart and summarize my spirit's voice. Complete utter truth...available to and for us all.

Psalm 19:7-11

"The law of the Lord is perfect,
reviving the soul.
The statutes of the Lord are trustworthy,
making wise the simple.
The precepts of the Lord are right,
giving joy to the heart.
The commands of the Lord are radiant,
giving light to the eyes.
The fear of the Lord is pure,
enduring forever.
The ordinances of the Lord are sure,
and altogether righteous.
They are more precious than gold,
than much pure gold.
They are sweeter than honey,
than honey from the comb.
By them is our servant warned,
in keeping them there is great reward."

Following closely on His heels...

2 comments:

  1. amanda...I am simply awed at this post. I can't wait for aron to get home to read it. You and one wise Spurgen are right on! For myself, I see a huge difference in my perspective, attitude, efficiency, and daily conversation with God if I start my mornings seeking him rather than rolling out of bed and into the day. Thank you, thank you, thank for sharing this. Your heart for Jesus is inspiring, and your insight beautiful. much love to you, sister
    ej

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome stuff, Amanda! I too have been enjoying time with God in the mornings for the last few weeks and it has made all the difference. One of my fav morning verses:
    "In the morning, Lord, you hear my voice; in the morning I lay my requests before you and wait in expectation."

    Laying our hearts before God in the morning and then waiting expectantly throughout our day for him to fulfill our desires!
    APK

    ReplyDelete