Monday, June 7, 2010

I wonder...

Darcy came home from work on Friday afternoon and within 15 minutes of being home he took a phone call and said he had to run out...giving him a puzzled look, he excitedly responded, "You're gonna have to trust me on this one, hun" and walked out the door.
About 20 minutes later he called me and said, "I am the man...when I get home you will be feeding me grapes and wine. I just got the steal of the century!" And then he returned bearing this beautiful old church pew (a desire of my heart for quite some time now).
I have wanted an antique church pew to adorn my foyer or kitchen nook for so long. I am often found looking on craigslist for just the right one...just dreaming and being wishful. Many have been passed up...deals missed...not so great of deals passed over...too far of a distance...too expensive...not what I was looking for...poor timing...poor condition...but still I've looked with eager hope for that perfect one.
And Friday it showed up on my front lawn as a gift from my beloved.
The fact that Darcy has known this...and on his own brought this home for me as an unexpected surprise brings such warmth and joy to my soul...feeling loved...being known...for the little and big things in life...the important and the insignificant...the wishes, desires and dreams of my heart being noticed, discovered, and shared with this one chosen and cherished person...
such a blessing.
I wonder how many prayers have been offered up by faithful souls bearing their hearts to the Lord while sitting on this treasured tree...ears and hearts earnest to take in a good Word.
Or how many lost souls have been found and saved, hearts softened and turned while quietly sitting and responding to the stir inside as the Holy Spirit moved them...as truth and grace were discovered freely...
I wonder how many times she's been tenderly blanketed by the sweet melodies of Amazing Grace...
or felt the heaviness of a child who has just drifted off into a peaceful slumber half resting in his mama's arms...
I wonder how each and every scuff and scar came to be, as she now proudly bears these badges of honor....how many restless toddlers and hopeful bright-eyed teens tried to sit still on a quiet Sunday morn... or how many tired backs welcomed the rest and stillness of the moment...
I wonder how many pretty white Easter dresses have graced this sturdy oak...
and what youngsters sneakingly stuck their forbidden gum underneath her solid timber frame.
I wonder how many tears she's caught that have fallen from bowed heads onto folded hands...or how many "hallelujahs" and "amens" have echoed from her faithful planks...
I love to think that she has been adored by so many people who faithfully came back to her week after week, year after year, to offer praises to our King...
and how these prayers and praises can continue to be lifted up from the depths of our simple hearts and home.
She looked beautiful this morning...
quietly taking in dawn's first light and waiting...
for the familiar...the new...
to be used again...loved again...found.
such a treasure, rich in life and wonderment.
Thankful for so much...ultimately for the Author of all wonders.

5 comments:

  1. it sure beats a pop-up camper!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, beautiful - I have wanted one of those for so long. Tell him to be on the lookout for one for me now! And your wonderment made me cry - such beautiful thoughts to ponder. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is gorgeous! Thanks for sharing your lovely thoughts and kudos to your man for knowing you and what would bring a smile to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a PRECIOUS gift & given in such an unexpected & beautiful way. Truly, a gift that warms you to the core. To be known, to be adored...to know that what is important to you is sought after by your love.

    wow. simply perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How beautiful and wonderful!

    ReplyDelete