Thursday, August 5, 2010

Weekend Getaway-Part 1:Our IRONMAN

This past Saturday Darcy competed in the Steelhead 70.3 1/2 Ironman Triathalon on Lake Michigan in Benton Harbor.
It's a 1.2 mile swim, followed by a 56 mile bike and a 13.1 mile run.
He has trained for months for this event and had an overall great race.
(making me one proud ironMate!)
the above photo is darcy as he arrived at the race scene the morning of...he had to drop off his bike before 6:45am...
(look at that eager excited game face!)
the morning started off dark, early, and cold with nonstop rain showers.
they were miserable conditions, but God had other plans.
the weather broke and the blue skies began to emerge making this a beautiful race day.

our ironman getting ready for the race to begin.
there were over 2,000 individuals competing in this tri.
they were broken up into age groups. darcy's heat was the orange-capped 30-34 year olds.
they began their swim at 8:21am.



i ran alongside the swimmers on the shoreline, trying to make my way back to the end of the swim so I could watch darcy transition onto the bike.
at one point as i was cruising along the shore, a gentleman stopped me and told me to look behind me. there was a faint yet beautiful rainbow in the sky.
a great reminder of God's goodness, His faithfulness and His provision in all circumstances
(even in the little things like "weather.")
to me it felt like He was whispering "I'm here"
darcy was the 6th person out of the water (the pink and green caps are from heats that went before him). he had an incredible swim. 1.2 miles in less than 25 minutes.

there was a sea of road bikes in the transition area...darcy's designated "1619 spot" was somewhere in the middle.

we knew he would be on the bike for a few hours, so it was time to grab the kiddos and enjoy the beach a bit.
darcy had an awesome bike...finishing 56 miles in just under 3 hours. we missed him in the transition area as he was coming in from the bike and getting ready to go run, but we were able to cheer him on in passing as he cruised by us on his bike.
(and thankfully, he saw us and heard us).
Waiting for him to come in from the run seemed to take forever. I was so anxious to see him. And because we missed him in the transition area, i wasn't certain what time he actually transitioned into the run to know when to expect him to return. I kept getting so teary-eyed with pride as I waited for him to round the corner for the final stretch...and eventually he did.


my eyes well up now just thinking about it.
this is a man that is driven. motivated. passionate.
brave. strong. hard-working.
determined. faithful.
he continues to inspire and amaze me with each new challenge life brings him, with each additional year we live this life together.
congratulations
i'm so proud of you darcy.
thank you for being the man that you are.
i will always be your #1 fan and admirer.

7 comments:

  1. That.Is.So.COOL! Darcy - we are so amazed by you and proud of you! YOU ROCK!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great journaling of the race. What an accomplishment. I know it took a lot of work for you to be there supporting him, but I am sure he was so very thankful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you post ANYTHING that does NOT bring on the crocodile tears? I am so proud of Darcy -- I cannot even imagine how you are feeling about his accomplishments! Much love to Darcy and his beautiful wife and those adorable kiddos!! Mwaaaah!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. AaaaaaaMAZING!
    So proud of you Darcy...and proud of you, J. The IronMate had to offer much patience during training season. He couldn't have done without you! I can't imagine how your heart must have felt seeing him cross that finish line - or how he much have felt seeing his breathtaking family so excited & cheering him on. Indeed, the Father was there.

    And besides the amazing feat - dang, that was some awesome photo editing. Maybe your best ever. I loved each & every one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great accomplishment! Way to go Darcy!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks for posting pics... i always enjoy seeing lake michigan and knowing people are enjoying my hometown! :)

    what a beautiful pic of the rainbow.

    i LOVE the team darcy shirt!

    congrats, darcy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Way to go Darcy!!

    Amanda- I know what you mean about tears of pride. I'm not an overly emotional person but watching Derek's first marathon had me very choked up. We definitely have men to be proud of!

    ReplyDelete