Friday, October 8, 2010

I will give you rest...

It's been a long week. A week packed with busy-ness.
A week of fatigue. A week where I've been desperately in need of rest...
both of the body and the soul.
I once read a book by C.J. Mahaney (Humility: True Greatness)
that described sleep as a "holy gift" from God.
Think about it...God could have created us to not need or require sleep. But the fact that we need it to restore our bodies and our minds is just a reflection of our daily dependence on Him. We can choose to receive sleep as a holy gift from Him by acknowledging Him before we lay our heads down each night...giving Him glory for the day and admitting our dependence on Him to refresh and restore our weary bodies and spirits through the night. And then we can greet Him in the morning with praise for the rest He has granted...
for the renewing of the body and mind.
The last thing I wanted to do this morning was get up extra early. Let's put it this way, I am tired of being tired. But the past week or so has presented itself with opened wounds and has left me feeling angry, frustrated, helpless, defenseless, and hardened. The fatigue of the body has been an equal fatigue of the soul. Do you ever get tired of trying? Trying to restore, heal, forgive? All to be rejected and misconstrued over and over again. It makes you want to just give up and say, "I'm done." I've felt this way this week. Unfortunately, that hardened state is like a poison that begins to permeate one's life with anger, irritability, and bitterness.
So when feeling tired of feeling tired...
I knew the One I needed to go to who would give me rest.
It was not the king size bed and comfy pillow. It was my Mighty Counselor. We had an appointment early this morning to sort and pour out all that's burdened and hardened this heart of mine.
He does not disappoint.
He picks me up and places me right where I belong.
Like a child feels in the arms of their Father.
Dependent on Him in a way that makes me feel "at home."
Comforted. Alive.
Where I can breathe again.
Find clarity. Direction.
Peace.
Rest.
God, I love your ways.
Thank you for taking this weary heart of mine
and restoring it once again.
May I take Your yoke upon me and learn from You.
The rest for my soul
is faithfully found in You and You alone.

6 comments:

  1. Praying for your rest and restoration. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praise Him. He is so faithful. Continuing to pray for you all as you wade through the messiness of broken relationships. So proud of you, friend...for chosing to rest in His arms rather than laboring fruitlessly in your frustration. Indeed, His yoke is easy, when we chose to take it on. His love is a covering for you, and your obedience is a declaration of love toward him. Praying for you as you remain in Him - and He supplies all that you need to not just survive - but to bear the fruit of His Spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying ... praying hard and without ceasing.

    AND, loving your new header :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. J. Oh sweetie...emotional weariness is the worst kind I think, but I KNOW that you are on the right track when you go to Him for rest. Just whisper his name when you feel weak, JESUS!!!! Take your pain to the one who will never forsake, JESUS!!!! Pour your pain out to him as a love offering of dependency. He is faithful and will fight for you when you cannot fight for yourself. JESUS!!!! Praying for you. Alyssa

    ReplyDelete
  5. this was such an encouraging and beautiful post. Praise God. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete