Monday, November 29, 2010

Our season of thanksgiving...

After a quick run of the flu bug, I found myself soaking in the shower this morning, thankful for being on the mend. I began mulling over things, the state of my heart, Darcy's heart, all that we've shared with one another lately and with God, the prayer journals, the conversations, the quiet moments...and I asked, "How do we pull our thoughts out of a rut?" Our minds can be our worst enemy where negativity stews and plants fear, doubt, worry, anger, discontentment and lies. I know we must go to Him, but I felt Him prying, "Go to me with what?"
And He quietly answered, "with thanksgiving."
As I am washing away the soap suds and worries of my day, these words whispered from my heart and took form onto page, despite wet dripping hair, water-wrinkled fingertips, and the confinement of my small little bathroom. Regardless, He speaks. He moves. He's here.

Never before has the wait seemed so long,
and the road neverending.
This is our season of thanksgiving.

Never before has the storm felt so close,
and the waves nearly crushing.
This is our season of thanksgiving.

Never before have the trials piled so high,
as building blocks trying to place a faux wall between us and our God.
This is our season of thanksgiving.

Never before has truth been slightly and subtly twisted,
causing confusion and doubt to take bitter root.
This is our season of thanksgiving.

Never before have we sought You and Your Word,
as our daily sustenance and the very air that we breathe.
This is our season of thanksgiving.

Never before has our dependence been so mighty,
as we cling to Your promises and all that You are.
This is our season of thanksgiving.

Never before has our marriage been so cherished,
or the laughter of our children so treasured.
This is our season of thanksgiving.

Never before have our perspectives been shaken,
as we strive to take on Your lens through this life.
This is our season of thanksgiving.

When all could be viewed as a season of drought,
an aimless wandering in the desert,
we are declaring this our season of thanksgiving.

Hope. It's in You.
Our wait. Is on You.
Our lives. Placed in Your hands.
Do what You will.
Shape. Mold. Refine.
This is our season of thanksgiving.

Friends of mine, in my moments of complaint or discontent, if and when you catch me without a thankful heart or focus, pull me back to the truth and challenge my perspective please...That I may keep my eyes on the prize of Jesus. It's easy to give thanks when life is good. The challenge comes when life is hard.

"Be joyful always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus."
~I Thessalonians 5:16-18

2 comments: