Thursday, June 23, 2011

banner over me is LOVE...

Years ago my mom made birthday banners for my sister(s) for one of my nieces or nephews birthday parties.
It's something I've wanted her to make for our household for quite some time,
and this year, we were given oodles of banner to adorn our celebrations.
Prior to making them, I asked my mom to hodge-podge scrap fabric together...
I didn't care if it matched or coordinated, I just wanted some of the pieces to have meaning.
I asked her to ask my grandma if she had an old shirt of my late grandfather's that we could use for this project (the beloved patriarch of our family).
I was more than smitten with the results.
This piece of fabric above is from my Gramps' pajamas.
And this one above is from one of my Grandma's dresses
(i have memories of Gram wearing this very dress).
On Brooke's very first birthday my Mom made her a dress.
This scrap piece above is a remnant of this dress.
(Believe me? Take a peek below)
(birthday girl brooke)
As is much of what my Mom creates,
these banners are dear to me.
You cannot help but want to celebrate LIFE and celebrate LOVE
when they hang above.
Thank you Mama Jo
for all you create
and sew (sow) into our little world.

"God is God, he has bathed us in light. Festoon the shrine with garlands, hang colored banners above the altar! You're my God, and I thank you. O my God, I lift high your praise. Thank God—he's so good. His love never quits!"
~Psalm 118:25-27

3 comments:

  1. I now have an "earworm" and it goes like this..."He brought me to His banqueting table, His banner over me is LOVE..."

    Now is that a blast from the past or not??!!??

    ReplyDelete
  2. an heirloom for generations, to be sure! can you imagine, after years of celebrations, what emotions these banners will call forth from your children, when as college kids, they walk through your doors and see them hanging? instant joy, sentiment, peace, security, warm-fuzzies, and love. and how incredibly special for you to be able to pinpoint memories held so dear as your eyes fall upon each pennant. a gift beyond description.

    and your mama jo's work is a such a blessing to any who have the privilege of acquiring one of her pieces. art speaks of the heart of the artist. and your mama's work reflects her generous, beautiful, vivacious, tender, bright, bursting with life heart of gold.

    excited to see these banners hung with love over the years!

    ReplyDelete