Monday, October 24, 2011

A diamond in the rough...

For weeks now I have been looking all over our house and asking family and friends if they've seen Brooke's hot pink sparkly sequin ballet flats. They have been missing and I've been at a loss wondering how a pair of such bright shoes could magically disappear off the face of the earth? It is Brooke's only pair of flats and semi-dressy shoes...she's got flip flops galore (which she can't wear to school), sandals (which have been too cold to wear to school), boots (that have been too hot to wear to school), and tennis shoes (which work on gym day, but don't offer the fashion statement she's wishing to send on most days of school). And even though these pink sparklies were only $14 at Target, they were sacred in this girl's life! :)
And guess what appeared on a sunny Sunday afternoon,
in the backyard,
buried in overgrown lawn and glittering among
blanketed leaf?
You guessed it!
Brooke's pink sparkly shoe!
and it came complete with an extra 3 pounds of water weight from all the rain we've had,
and a nice little worm that decided to make a fancy new home out of it.
But just one shoe appeared. I'm willing to bet one of the squirrels from our backyard village has carried away the other.
I can't tell you how many times I caught Brooke barefoot outside after leaving the house with shoes on. I should not be surprised.
I think someone in our house is learning a little something or other about responsibility.
Reminding me that we are all a work in progress. Our potential hidden at times.
Waiting to sparkle and shine with surprise.
Indeed, a diamond in the rough.
Goodness girl!
What am I going to do with you :)

2 comments:

  1. Love this post. I can soooo relate. Just love on her. As she grows some days you'll marvel at how mature she's become and other days you'll see glimpses of the little girl that still leaves her shoes in the backyard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post. I can soooo relate. Just love on her. As she grows some days you'll marvel at how mature she's become and other days you'll see glimpses of the little girl that still leaves her shoes in the backyard.

    ReplyDelete