Tuesday, November 29, 2011

crash landing...

Ouch!!! Did you hear that? That's just the sound I made after crashing from my Thanksgiving high with family. It's been a rough two days. It's always a little hard saying goodbye to my sisters and their families...but this year I think I needed them more than I realized, and after our time together was over, I crashed hard.
Here we are snuggling on the couch. We spent our entire Friday together in our pj's. Avoiding Black Friday and the shopping frenzy, we dug into my existing craft supplies and embarked on a craft project I'd been wanting to get started on for some time...
Clothespins turned into Christmas card holders
(to be placed on a line of ribbon for display).
All you need is a package of clothes pins, crafting paper, a stash of buttons or any other embellishments, a few stamps, a glue gun and an hour or so to craft away.
This past summer, while camping with a group of friends, a couple of ladies and I hit some antique shops and I found this lovely green shutter below. I thought Darcy may kill me when I brought it back to the campsite. We had already packed everything but the kitchen sink into our car for the out-of-state camping trip...I wasn't sure how he'd react to lugging home a large shutter that I wasn't even sure what we were going to do with. But the color drew me in and I knew I'd find purpose for it once we found a new home.
(and I should add that to my surprise, she immediately found favor with darcy)
For now, my Christmas card clothespins are hanging from it...
waiting for our first arrival to hang with anticipated loveliness.


Until then, she sits pretty.
And I can look at her from my crash landing position and think fondly of my weekend with my sisters, the quality time we spent together, and eagerly look forward to the next.

4 comments:

  1. LOVE that shutter - you are so creative. So happy that you had that sweet time together, and so sorry for your crash - I know that is hard.

    Love you my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is PERFECT! who needs a string of ribbon with a beauty like that to display your Christmas Love?! and I love the button/pompom/charming touches to your clothespins!

    Sometimes it is an emotional crash landing coming down off of what could rightly be considered a little taste of heaven. Aron & I often feel it heavy on our drive north. The beauty of togetherness a foreshadowing of what is to come...perfect community with no end. Some say the rarity of such times is what makes them so treasured...perhaps, but even so, the heart craves to live life alongside of those so dear, and it hurts to tear yourselves away. I love the picture of you and your sisters...such peace and love glows from the photo. It makes me smile to know that great big yellow house was filled with the Carter sibs for a weekend...precious moments, indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you had some family time together with your sisters. I know how much you enjoy each others company. I was feeling the same way after my family left on Saturday. The only thing that makes it easier, is knowing that Christmas is just around the corner.

    I love your card holder! You have a product on your hands there girlie, if you ever wanted to start a business! I would buy that in a heartbeat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. awesome way to use the Carter creativity. and so much fun to do with sisters who appreciate it. I love the shutter also. Got to get me one!

    ReplyDelete