Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Make do...

So, I've had my eye on this pragmatic vase for a while. I've been holding onto a giftcard to one of my favorite stores (Anthropologie)- apprehensive to use it until I see something that truly wins my affection. I eyed this in the store a few months back...picked it up off the high shelf, smiled at it with fondness as it sat perched in my hands, paused, and placed it back on the shelf with hesitance. I've seen it online and in the monthly catalog and it keeps grabbing my attention, but i haven't wanted to pay the extra charges for shipping.

But, as the New Year has rolled around, I've been carefully considering personal goals and resolutions. I already knew that one of mine for this year is to love well, and live well. Part of loving well is making people more of a priority in my life. It's so easy to get caught up in our own little family that I hardly have (or make) time for much else. I've always been very social, but not necessarily a great initiator of plans...meaning, if someone asks me to get together, I'm there! If they call, I talk! But, sometimes I do a poor job of being the one asking and making the initial phone calls and plans. It feels good to be asked and invited and called, and I need to be more intentional in this area of my life. [On a side note: With all of these thoughts about love, I've done it. I got my Valentines decorations out this past weekend. I found some fun ideas for this on Pinterest (photos to come). Even with the cleanness and freshness of an uncluttered house once Christmas left us, I still couldn't resist an early start on Valentine's Day. I'm loving well in advance!]

There are countless examples of living well in the Bible. All one needs to do apart from our perfect example in Jesus, is look at the life of Paul. The book of Philippians, authored by Paul, offers a few great places to start living well.

"I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want." ~Philippians 4:12

To "do everything without complaining or arguing."
~Philippians 2:14

To "not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.
~Philippians 4:6

Faith with gladness.
To Make Do.
So, while all of this was mulling over in mind and heart, Becky Jo, a dear friend over at Sweet Abundance, asked an open question in cyberspace, "If you could pick one word for your goal for the year, what would it be?"
It didn't take long to discover that my word would be "well."

Living well.
Loving well.
Being well.
(and doing it all with intention...even on those days i don't feel like it)

With all of the above, I purchased the vase. She arrived a few days ago and sits with loveliness and purpose above my kitchen sink, where I spend much of my time. A daily reminder for me to make do, to intentionally live and love well.

When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
when sorrows like sea billows roll;
whatever my lot, Thou has taught me to say,
It is well, it is well,with my soul.


Making do (with a smile), one day at a time,

1 comment:

  1. HEART! HEART! HEART! HEART! HEART!

    Oh, sweet friend, you DO love well. Thank you for this, it has inspired me to do the same.

    Love you much!

    ReplyDelete