Thursday, January 19, 2012

opening wide...

God is up to something BIG...I can taste it. I've been opening wide since the gracefall; eyes, ears and mouth hungry, enlightened. The wise Spurgeon references Luke 24:45 in today's devotional (the timing of this particular passage just another God orchestrated detail that is blowing my mind. I'll dive into that on another day)...He's speaking, oh is He ever speaking.

"He opened their minds so they could understand the Scriptures."
~Luke 24:45

Spurgeon pens, "Many can bring the Scriptures to mind, but the LORD alone can prepare the mind to receive the Scriptures. Our Lord Jesus differs from all other teachers. They reach the ear, but He instructs the heart. They deal with the outward letter, but He imparts an inward taste for the truth, by which we perceive its savor and spirit....Other schools may teach us what is to be believed, but Christ's alone can show us how to believe it."

He has been doing just this. For the past couple of days I have been marinating in things of Him, savoring a side of Him that I have never tasted, and in the process of chewing all that is being taught and revealed. He's brought teachers alongside of me to water the seed, but He has been performing the intricate work and pruning of the heart. The good Gardener.

I've been opening wide. But, like any fine delicacy, we don't really know how "good" and "satisfying" it is while it sits in our mouths...it's not until it has been fully swallowed and finds our bellies that we are truly satiated and understand its goodness. I'm still chewing and savoring, and have just begun to swallow. The "recipe" still in the works.

One of our teachers just introduced me to this song of hope.


Behold, this is not the end...
I'm opening wide.

No comments:

Post a Comment