Thursday, June 14, 2012

thick like molasses

Sometimes viewing things through our own woundedness can skew our perspectives.  I'm a big girl, but even big girls have their moments of hurt.  Around me I see bigger fish to fry, and that helps me keep perspective...it also lends compassion to the ones around me who are frying those bigger fish.

Nonetheless, hurt can feel as thick as molasses. 
It can consume (if we let it) and open old wounds and insecurities.  My natural instinct is to just "distance."  Close up, push away, guard that heart.  And in my years of walking with the Lord, I've also learned to run to the Great Healer to soothe those wounds, for He knows every hurt...and they matter to Him. 
And He fills those voids with just what I need the most. 
Himself.

So that's just what I did with the firstfruits of my day today.  I started a new Bible study last week and dove into that with a hot cup of coffee at hand.  
My devotion today reads (from God's perspective to us:)

"When I look at you, I feel sheer delight. Unbounded pleasure. I can't help but smile, for you are My special creation. My love rains down on you like a summer shower. I quiet your fears and worries with My love. I rejoice over you in song. You delight Me, My child. You are wonderful, beautiful. You give me joy." 

"The LORD your God...will take great delight in you, He will quiet you with His love, He will rejoice over you with singing."
Zephaniah 3:17 

This was healing balm to my spirit.  In moments of feeling discounted, overlooked, or less important than you'd like to feel...let His words remind you how much He delights in you.  I'm resting in this today.  And praying that His love that rains down...will cover over those wounds.
A covering that sticks and is
uneasily removed as I confront the demands of the day.
And lean into Him,
with an ear tuned into
the sweet melody He sings over me.
Thick like molasses.


3 comments:

  1. Yup. Needed that one today.

    (Also, you are not overlooked or unimportant to ME either!! Just so ya know!)

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Becky Jo! I love you girl. I think I've said it before...a girl night that includes mexican is in our near future. Let's check our calendars and make it happen!

      Delete
  2. I think it's the nature of the beast (being a women that wears her heart on her sleeve--I get this because I'm one too!) to struggle at times with feeling overlooked. You are so very important to me, and have filled a role of friendship in my life that was missing before my golden girl came into my heart! I hope we can carve out some time really soon to sit and linger over an iced tea and good heart conversation. I miss you girl. You are loved and treasured GG.

    ReplyDelete