Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Saying "I do" to the ways and wonder of the "Moose-Muffin" life

Anyone familiar with the "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie/ If You Give a Moose a Muffin/ If You Give a Pig a Pancake" books?  Well, some days I feel like my life is much like those side-tracked, slightly chaos-driven, motivated, busily-being-busy characters.  Or maybe it's just "Housewife ADD."  
Either way it led me to this post.

What started as a trip to Target to exchange a pair of jeans Berlyn got for her birthday from her Aunt, ended in a little mother-daughter photo shoot at home late this afternoon.  Let me rewind my Moose- Muffin mind and explain:

New jeans for Berlyn= run upstairs to quickly put them away at home= realize there is no room left in her dresser to store them= clean out the summer and outgrown clothes from her dresser drawers= straighten up her room in the process= put away her basket of clean laundry that's been sitting on her floor for days= 1/4 of the laundry in her laundry basket was her older sister's (courtesy of a very helpful hubby trying to ease my load)= move on to Brooke's room to put away leftover clean clothes= clean out her armoire while I'm in there= get rid of summer clothes and clothes she's outgrown= start adding to the piles of clothing to donate/sell at our church's upcoming Mom 2 Mom sale this Saturday= clean out her closet and do the same= take summer clothes that she is keeping and store them up in her brother's closet (where her winter clothes are currently waiting to be brought down)= exchange them out= notice a white trash bag on Brayden's top closet shelf that is holding my unintentionally unpreserved wedding gown of almost 12 years= pull it out and reminisce= slightly feel remorse that I hadn't taken better care of it and had it preserved= remembering all of the pinterest inspired ideas I've come across or heard about from friends and sisters who have also been pinterest-struck...like taking a picture of your daughter in your wedding dress while she's little, and giving the picture to her, when she's grown up, on her own wedding day= grab my raggedy girls right there in the upstairs hallway and take advantage of the thought and the moment=  "little girls in their mama's wedding gown" fashion show= the pictures below...












and besides a few tears from my middle one (because of an older brother who teased),
i sat on that wooden aisle hallway and married a few moments of loveliness, 
pure and unblemished joy 
white with endless possibility. 
 wonder spilled out like satin from the heart, 
smooth as silk. 
with billowing pearled train of dreams,
and lace-whispered covenant to choose grace 
and gratitude with this one Moose-Muffin life.
and so
i do.

5 comments:

  1. So glad to know I'm not the only one who has not preserved my dress ... and I may have to do these portraits too! LOVE this idea!

    And I LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that you took the time out to do this. What a great idea and a memory you'll always treasure and something so special for the girls. I also did not preserve the dress, may have to dig it out to do this sooon......

    ReplyDelete
  3. becky jo and kel-glad im not the only one who didn't preserve my dress! i will say, it has been put to use a time or two (like wearing it at brookie's princess birthday party when she was 3.) kinda like china, right? bring it out often, use it, and enjoy it! :) i figured my girls probably would never "wear" my actual gown, but with a creative talented grandma...i'm sure she could incorporate a part of my gown into my daughter's special days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are the pictures that you need to give to the girls on their own wedding day -- precious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. these photos made me CRY! and how similar your girls look to one another in the gown...wow! Pure & lovely in every wayl

    ReplyDelete