Wednesday, December 5, 2012

thou shalt not yell

After a not so successful trip to the market with a whiny 3 year old, unnecessary complaining from my older two (which landed them both in their bedrooms as soon as we got home), crowded aisles, and long waits at the meat counters, I pulled out of the parking lot with my nerves a bit frazzled.  The lunch hour was overdue, and three little hungry voices in the backseat reminded me of it.  The day was slipping away and we had not yet schooled.  I really wanted a nap, but duty called.  Not even 5 minutes into our History lesson about the rise of Ancient Greece, the bickering and bantering began again. 
So, back to their rooms they went.
(with a yelling mom trailing almost too close behind)

Upon her dismissal, I was handed a crumpled up piece of paper from my little 7 year old writer.
Translation:  "I'm sorry mom.  I just have been, so I can say it anyway.  But, we should listen to parents...so you should never yell at kids.  I'm not telling you what to do, but that is the right thing to do.  And I'm sorry.  I love you."

She had me thinking, this little girl.  Guess we all could stand to have a bit more grace toward one another.  This mama included. I chuckled a bit when I initially read this cute little note...but I admit, there was a little sting in there too.  I know there's room for improvement in this area.  I'd recently been convicted, even confiding in others about my surprisingly lack of patience with my kids lately. They learn by example, right?

"But everyone must be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to anger."
James 1:19

"Whoever is slow to anger has great understanding, but he who has a hasty temper exalts folly."
Proverbs 14:29

A little girl's wise words + a little inner-reflection= a lotta light shed today. Life is good, but why not make it better.

"Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already arrived at my goal, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me."
Philippians 3:12

 Pressing onward.


No comments:

Post a Comment