Saturday, November 2, 2013

beauty in the small

There are few things we never do in our household.  Running out of milk for my littlest is one of them. For it would surely ruin her world.

While the kids were at church last night I ran up to the local grocery store to grab this necessity.  I was in and out in record time (it's amazing how quickly one may run errands without little ones in tow.)  As I loaded my bags into the back of my car, I met the sweetest most innocent young man working hard and proudly collecting grocery carts that had been scattered about the parking lot.

To my surprise, he approached me with his cartload and engaged me in conversation.  It all began by him simply asking me who I'd be routing for in today's big football game between Michigan and Michigan State.  From there, we moved on to talk about bone spurs, his late Grandpa, Aunt, and cousins... club feet, surgeries, Detroit, prayer, and the purpose he's found in life to carry on his Grandpa's legacy by "making people smile."

The air was crisp and cool with late fall breeze, and the evening darkness was upon us...but in his presence I found a simple warmth and light that took away the autumn's chill, and made me forget that winter was peeking around the corner.

Too often in life, I am on the go, in a hurry, running places, and running late.  There are times I hardly have time for a conversation with my own, let alone a complete stranger.  But despite the slight shiver of cold, and the social awkwardness in the dialogue exchanged, I couldn't think of spending those moments anywhere else than in the Kroger parking lot listening to this young man share his heart and his affection for the Wolverines and his beloved Grandpa.

There are many shades of beauty to behold.  It can be found anywhere when we open up our eyes to her wonder.  Last night, I just stumbled upon it at the local grocery store, in the fearfully and wonderfully-made person of "Mike."

And...it just so happened that I left with a smile.  Job well done Mike.  Your Grandpa would be proud.

Beauty can be found in the small and unsuspecting.  Where has it graced you today?

"All things bright and beautiful,
All creatures great and small,
All things wise and wonderful,
The Lord God made them all."
~Cecil Frances Alexander

"I praise You for I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
Your works are wonderful; I know that full well."
~Psalm 139:14

2 comments:

  1. Before cellphones, computers, tvs, etc., there was a lot more of this kind of spontaneous conversation. It was even planned. I remember having Sunday dinner with a family after church waaaayyyy back in the country in middle Tennessee. After lunch we sat on the porch waiting for another family in the area (and from another church, so we didn't see them that morning), to come by for a visit. Even then I felt like it was a throw back in time. Your post sparked some good memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Warren,
      As much as modern technology has it's advantages, there is part of me that yearns for a time when life was a little more slower-paced, when we didn't have everything so instantaneously accessible and would look forward to and take time for those face-to-face encounters, soak them in...where people and relationships seemed to take a higher priority in our lives. Thanks for sharing your memory. I could vividly picture that mid Tennessee country porch scene in my mind. :)

      Delete